Liver spots or brown spots on the skin may indicate exposure to harsh elements. It could also be a sign of aging. You usually develop dark spots on certain areas of the skin that stay exposed to the sun's rays. Those rays can trigger the production of melanin that results in darkening of skin. You can find a number of products to lighten the skin and reduce the appearance of those dark spots, but several natural remedies, such as lemon juice, often prove more effective than commercial beauty products.
How Does Lemon Juice Work for Dark Spots?
Lemon juice is effective because of its bleaching properties. Its natural acidity works to lighten your skin and reduce dark spots over time. That acidity works against the melanin pigmentation by breaking it down and preventing its overproduction, thus lightening your skin tone. Lemon juice also has exfoliating properties, mainly due to citric acid, which is another reason why it proves effective against the most stubborn dark spots.
Not only does lemon juice breaks down melanin pigmentation, it also helps slow down the production of melanin, which happens because of its vitamin-C content. The only thing to bear in mind is that you should avoid direct sun exposure immediately after applying lemon juice to your skin.
How to Use Lemon Juice for Dark Spots
It is true that lemon juice has its benefits for your skin, but you also need to learn how to use lemon juice. Here are some simple ways to enjoy skincare benefits of lemon juice.
1. Fresh Lemon Juice for Brown Spots
Take fresh lemon juice and apply it directly on your dark spots. Rinse it off after half an hour using cold water. Repeat twice a day for a couple of months to get positive results. Be sure to dilute the juice with water, honey, or rosewater if you have sensitive skin.
2. A Combo of Lemon and Sugar
Take some lemon juice and add sugar to it. Mix well to make a paste and apply it directly on your face. Be sure to cover all your dark spots. Leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse it off using cold water. Repeat a few times a week to lighten brown spots.
3. A Mix of Lemon Juice and Yogurt
Take some lemon juice and mix it with natural yogurt. Apply this mask to your face and leave it on for half an hour. Then, rinse it off using water. Be sure to apply moisturizer after you have removed the mask.
4. A Combination of Parsley and Lemon
- Use warm water to wash your face – use a gentle cleaner to remove dirt or makeup. Now, exfoliate your skin using a moisturizer and a soft towel.
- Take two cups of water in a teapot and add a cup of freshly chopped parsley to it. Boil it for 15 minutes and strain.
- Add a few drops of lemon juice to the infusion of parsley and let it cool. Apply it on your face and then rinse it off after half an hour with plain water.
5. Lemon Juice and Hummus
Mash half a cup of tahini with a cup of garbanzo beans in a food processor to make a smooth paste. Add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice to the paste and mix well. Apply it on your dark spots and leave it on for half an hour. Use lukewarm water to remove it from your face. Do it once daily for good results.
6. Other Ways to Use Lemon Juice for Dark Spots
- Combine a tablespoon of tomato juice, a tablespoon of lemon juice, and a tablespoon of sandalwood to make a paste. Apply it on your skin and leave it for about 20 minutes. Use warm water to remove it. Moisturize in the end.
- To treat dark spots on your dry skin, combine a teaspoon of lemon juice, a tablespoon of powdered milk, and 2 drops of essential oil. Apply the mixture on your skin and then remove it after 25 minutes using warm water.
- Take some lemon juice and mix it with rosewater and cucumber juice. Apply it directly on the affected areas on your skin for positive results.
General Tips for Lemon Use
- Do not go out in the sun immediately after using lemon juice for dark spots. Lemon juice can dry out your skin and make it more prone to damage if you go out without using sunscreen.
- Do not use a lemon juice mask every day. Lemon juice really works but takes quite some time to show results. Overdoing it may cause problems, so use it only 3-4 times a week.
- Be sure to talk to your doctor before using lemon juice for acne. Some studies show that lemon juice is effective against acne but it can interfere with other topical treatments you may be using.
Other Tips for Skin Lightening
Lemon juice is effective against dark spots, but you can try other remedies as well to help lighten your skin. Here are some suggestions:
Buttermilk is effective because it contains lactic acid that removes blemishes by exfoliating your skin.
Direction: Use a cotton ball to apply buttermilk directly to your skin. Let it sit there for a few minutes and then wash the area with water.
2. Castor Oil
Thanks to its healing properties, castor oil can help reduce the appearance of age spots.
Direction: Take a cotton ball and soak it in castor oil. Apply it directly on the affected area and massage your skin for a few minutes. Let it sit for a few hours and then wash your face with plain water. Do it twice a day, once in the morning and once before going to bed.
3. Apple Cider Vinegar
Regular use of apple cider vinegar may help dry out the spots faster. When used correctly, it serves as an effective remedy for brown spots.
Direction: Take some apple cider vinegar and dilute it by adding the same amount of water. Now, apply it on your affected areas and leave it on for a few hours. Use plain water to wash your face. Do it at least once a day and you will see results in a few days.
4. Aloe Vera
Besides lemon juice for dark spots, Aloe Vera, with its healing properties, not only reduces scars but also aids skin regeneration.
Direction: Take Aloe Vera gel and apply it on your dark spots. Be sure to rub it gently and then leave it on for half an hour. Then, wash the area with cold water. Do the same twice a day for a month to lighten your skin blemishes.