Apple cider vinegar (ACV) has a long list of benefits when added to your regular skin and hair care routine. From clearing up dandruff to disinfecting your makeup brushes to soothing dry skin, it can help you in so many interesting ways. It has antibacterial, antifungal, and anti-inflammatory properties, as well as acetic acid and alpha-hydroxy acids, which make it a great remedy for skin blemishes. Read on to find out how to use apple cider vinegar for skin to maximize its benefits.
How Can Apple Cider Vinegar Help Skin?
Apple cider vinegar can work in many different ways to treat different skin related problems. Here are a few best uses of ACV for your skin.
1. ACV for Age Spots
Thanks to the presence of alpha-hydroxy acids, ACV helps get rid of dead skin cell and leaves your skin fresh. Its regular use helps reduce the appearance of age spots.
How to: Take some undiluted ACV and apply it directly on your age spots using a cotton wool bud. Wash it off after 30 minutes. Repeat twice a day for six weeks to see a difference.
2. ACV for Acne and Pimples
Apple cider vinegar for skin is one of the best cleansers you will find. It helps cleanse your skin and keeps pimples away. It works due to the presence of substances such as malic acid that gives it antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral properties.
How to: You can just cleanse your skin with apple cider vinegar to regulate pH levels and prevent acne and pimples at the same time.
3. Bruise Healer
Apple cider vinegar has anti-inflammatory properties, which is the reason why it works amazingly well to calm injured skin. It contains acetic acid as well, which helps improve circulation and healing.
How to: Take some undiluted ACV and soak a cotton ball in it. Place it on your bruise and secure with a bandage. Remove it after an hour to see results.
4. Bug Bite Treatment
ACV contains acids that help neutralize the itch caused by a bug bite. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which prove effective against swelling.
How to: You can just soak a cotton ball in undiluted apple cider vinegar. Then dab it lightly on the affected area for instant relief.
5. Foot Deodorizer
It works great as a deodorizer because of its antiseptic properties. Thanks to its antifungal properties, it also proves effective against fungal infections such as athlete's foot.
How to: Take a tub and fill it with four cups of water. Then mix a cup of apple cider vinegar to it. Soak your feet in this solution for about 15 minutes. Be sure to rinse and dry your feet afterwards.
6. Act as Skin Toner
Due to its astringent properties, ACV works great for people with oily skin. It improves circulation and minimizes the appearance of pores.
How to: Mix half cup of filtered water and half cup of ACV together. Add a few drops of lavender oil and mix. Use a cotton ball to apply the solution to your skin. Rinse it with cool water after a couple of minutes. Repeat twice a day for better effects.
7. Soothe Sunburn
One of many benefits of apple cider vinegar for skin is that can soothe sunburn. It is a natural astringent and accelerates the healing process. It also proves effective against itching, irritation, and inflammation caused by sunburn.
How to: Mix equal amounts of cool water and apple cider vinegar and apply it to the affected areas. Massage your skin gently using the solution. Repeat several times a day for effects.
8. Treat Razor Bumps
Apple cider vinegar can help relieve inflammation caused by razor bumps. It contains acetic acid as well that softens your skin and helps ingrown hair grow out with ease.
How to: Take some honey and apply a thin layer of it on the affected skin. Leave it for 5-10 minutes and then use cold water to rinse it off. Now, apply apple cider vinegar with a cotton ball to the affected area and leave it to dry. Repeat several times a day for relief.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar for Skin
Apple cider vinegar works in many different ways and is a great remedy for certain skin-related issues. You can also use it to make facemasks and face washes to keep your skin healthy. Here is more about it.
Make an ACV Mask on Your Own
What You Need
How to Use
A teaspoon of rosewater
A teaspoon of arrowroot powder
¼ teaspoon of nutritional yeast and ACV
A teaspoon of ginger kombucha
Take a shallow bowl and add all the ingredients to it. Mix everything well and apply the mask on your face. Leave it for several mins then rinse it with warm water. You can apply this mark once a week for fresh skin.
Face Wash with ACV
You can use apple cider vinegar for skin to prepare a perfect face wash. Be sure to dilute it if you are using it for the first time. Here are the steps to follow:
- Add 3 tablespoons of warm water and a tablespoon of ACV to a small bowl. Stick to a 1 to 5 ratio if you have sensitive skin. When in doubt, be sure to patch test your skin before using it on your face, and wait an hour to see results.
- First use lukewarm water to wash your face first. Take a cotton ball/pat and soak it into the solution. Apply it on your skin using upward strokes and cotton ball until you have covered all areas on your face.
Apple Cider Vinegar and Water for Acne
You can use the mixture of water and vinegar to treat and prevent acne.
- Take a small bowl and add one-part ACV and one-part water to it.
- Apply the mixture to your skin using a cotton ball.
- Wash it off after a few minutes and finish by applying a moisturizer.
- If you apply this before sleep in night, you can keep it throughout the night and wash off in the next morning.
Apple Cider Vinegar, Honey and Baking Soda
For smooth and fresh skin, you need to apply the mixture of honey and ACV to your skin. Here are the steps to follow:
- Use lukewarm water to wash your face and then use a gentle cleanser to improve circulation.
- Use baking soda to exfoliate your skin, and then steam your face for about 3 minutes or so above hot water whist covering a towel over your head.
- Take 2 tablespoons of raw honey and apply directly to your face. Rub in circular motion. Then rinse it off after 15 minutes using lukewarm water then pat dry your skin.
- Apply a mixture of water and vinegar using a cotton ball. Try to wipe in upwards strokes.
- Finish by applying oil free moisturizer.
While apple cider vinegar for skin is quite beneficial, you should still take some precautions when using it for the first time. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Consider using ACV at night if you do not like its smell.
- Be sure to increase the amount of water if your skin is extra-sensitive or you develop skin irritation.
- Test a little patch of your skin before applying apple cider vinegar.
- Use sunscreen after using apple cider vinegar because it can make your skin a bit sensitive to UV rays.
- As for side effects, usually ACV has no side effect, but people with acne may experience headaches after using ACV regularly, which happens when ACV pulls toxins out of your skin.