You develop psoriasis – a chronic skin disease – when your immune system starts taking your skin cells as pathogens and stimulates the production of more skin cells. This non-contagious disease can be divided into five types, and plaque psoriasis is the most common type in which you develop silvery-white patches over your skin. This chronic disease has no cure but you can try many remedies, including apple cider vinegar to treat your condition.
Does Apple Cider Vinegar Work for Psoriasis?
Research shows that apple cider vinegar may prove effective against skin conditions mainly because it acts as a disinfectant. You can use ACV to help ease itching associated with psoriasis and many other skin conditions. If you have not tried it, you should give it a shot, as many people vouch for the effectiveness of apple cider vinegar for psoriasis.
Many people believe that regular use of ACV offers relief from the red, flaky skin. They believe that ACV is effective because it has strong healing properties, which are actually due to its ability to restore pH balance of the body and skin. You can include it in your diet to improve the pH of your body. You can also use it topically to soothe your skin and accelerate healing. Just keep in mind that it is important to dilute ACV first or else you may end up burning your skin.
How to Apply Apple Cider Vinegar for Psoriasis
It is true that ACV has its benefits, but you need to use it properly to get desired results. Here are some suggestions.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar for Spot Applications
You can use ACV topically to help treat your skin condition. Here is what you can do:
- Use an ACV Compress for Psoriasis: Combine 3 parts of water and 1 part of apple cider vinegar to make a solution. Dampen a washcloth in this solution and apply directly on the affected area for relief. Repeat several times a day for the best results.
- Soak Nails in ACV Solution: If psoriasis has affected your fingernails and toenails, you can make a solution using ACV and soak your nails in it. Be sure to soak for 5 minutes at a time. Do it once a day.
- Apply ACV Directly: If you have itchy patches on your skin, you can apply ACV directly to those affected areas. Simply soak a cotton ball in ACV and apply it to your skin. Do it before going to bed and take a shower in the morning.
2. Drink Apple Cider Vinegar for Relief
Get two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar and mix it with a cup of water or fresh juice. Drink it once a day. Use organic ACV only because it contains the 'Mother', which contains proteins and other enzymes extremely beneficial for your digestive system. These enzymes also help bring your pH back to normal and reduce your symptoms associated with psoriasis.
3. Enjoy an ACV Bath
Another way to enjoy the benefits of apple cider vinegar for psoriasis is to take a bath with it. Simply fill your bathtub with warm water and add a cup of ACV to it. Now, soak in it for at least 30 minutes to ensure that vinegar has soaked into your hair, skin, and scalp. Once done, take a cool shower to rinse it off completely. Since vinegar is naturally acidic, it helps make your skin slightly acidic, which in turn makes it difficult for bacteria, fungi, and yeast to survive.
4. Use ACV Spray for Relief
You can also spritz ACV on your red, flaky skin for relief. The important thing to bear in mind is that ACV is very acidic and you should dilute it first before applying directly to your skin. You can make a solution by mixing equal parts of ACV and water and then apply it to your skin. This will provide you with its pH-balancing, antiseptic, and itch-relieving benefits. Spraying it on your skin will also help promote blood circulation to your skin and lift scales as well.
5. Try an ACV Rinse for Scalp Psoriasis
Combine water and ACV – use 75% water and 25% ACV. Mix it well and apply it on to your scalp. Make sure to keep it away from your eyes. Let the solution stay for 5 minutes and massage with your fingers. Use cool water to rinse it off and dry your hair. Using the remedy helps get rid of those scales that cause scalp itch. Moreover, it leaves your hair soft and shiny.
6. ACV and Baking Soda Combo
Make a mixture by combining a teaspoon of ACV and a teaspoon of baking soda. You can add a little water to make a smooth paste. Apply it directly to your affected areas to help reduce redness and itching.
Other Remedies for Psoriasis
Using apple cider vinegar for psoriasis is an effective way to relieve itching and redness, but you can also try other natural remedies to treat your skin problems. For instance:
- Use Aloe Vera for relief. Aloe Vera gel has antiseptic and moisturizing properties and is an effective remedy for burns, cuts, and irritations of the skin. It also helps relieve the itching caused by psoriasis.
- Make use of hot peppers. The idea is to use capsaicin, a compound found in hot peppers. Simply add this substance to your creams and make them more effective against redness and inflammation caused by psoriasis.
- Use Epsom salts for relief. All you have to do is add some Epsom salts or Dead Sea salts to your bathwater and soak in it for a while. This moisturizes your skin and relieves itching.
- Use oats to treat psoriasis. Oats work because they are a natural skin soother and are quite effective against the itching caused by psoriasis, chicken pox, and other skin conditions. You can add oats in your bathwater and soak in it to enjoy some amazing benefits.
- Make use of curcumin. Derived from turmeric, curcumin has anti-inflammatory properties and works great to treat red, itchy skin. You can simply add turmeric to your curries and other recipes or take curcumin in the form of supplements for relief.