As a potent, second-generation, selective histamine antagonist, azelastine has been used in the form of eye drops or nasal spray, which is widely used around the words. This article focuses on azelastine nasal spray about how it helps, how to use it and so much more.
Why Choose Azelastine Nasal Spray
Azelastine nasal spray is an anti-allergic treatment and works by blocking some allergy-inducing natural substances known as histamines. This spray is also an antihistamine, giving it anti-inflammatory properties. It is sprayed in each nostril twice a day to alleviate nasal symptoms like post-nasal drip caused by seasonal allergies, runny or blocked nose, sneezing and other allergic and non-allergic conditions.
How to Use Azelastine Nasal Spray
Azelastine nasal spray can be of great help as long as you use it as directed by your doctor or according to the instruction on the label. Here we give you a detailed instruction on how to use this spray to shed some light:
- A new azelastine nasal spray container needs some priming before usage. Take off the cap and the blue safety clip and pump rapidly a few times until a fine mist is being released. Make sure to point the spray away from you and others when doing this.
- Tilt your head downwards, hold the bottle up and keep the nozzle directed towards the back of the nose. Then spray firmly and rapidly inside your nostril. Tilt your head back now and sniff in the product gently. Repeat in the other nostril.
- After use, wipe the tip clean with a clean cloth or tissue and keep the safety clip back on to avoid contamination.
Storage and Long Time Use
- Ideal temperature to store azelastine nasal spray is at room temperature about 20 °C --25 °C. Avoid keeping it in direct light and moist environments like the bathroom. Prevent it from freezing.
- If you haven't used your azelastine nasal spray for the past 3 days, you may have to reprime the pump with 2 sprays or until a fine mist appears.
- In case the nozzle gets blocked, take off the nasal spray and submerge it in warm water. Pump the spray while it's in the water to loosen up the obstruction until the spray is working again. Dry the spray pump, put the spray pump back and reprime.
- Discard your azelastine spray if you've used it around 200 times already, there may not be enough product left to give you sufficient dose per spray.
Precautions Before Using Azelastine Nasal Spray
- It is important to let your doctor or pharmacists know if you have an allergy to azelastine or other drugs, if you are taking other medications, especially other antihistamines, vitamins, allergy and cold products.
- It is also vital to remember that azelastine nasal spray causes drowsiness, so do not drive or operate any other heavy machinery until you're sure of your tolerance to the drug. Bear in mind that alcohol can make this drowsiness worse.
- Inform your doctor if you're pregnant, planning to get pregnant or breastfeeding. It is advisable to inform your doctor if you get pregnant while using azelastine nasal spray.
- You should notify your doctor about azelastine use if you're about to get surgery or dental surgery.
- If you have questions about the information on the extra patient leaflet of azelastine spray, talk to your doctor.
- Azelastine nasal spray is for nose only, so don't get it in your mouth or eyes. Rinse with cool tap water immediately if it does get into your eyes.
What If I Overdose or Miss a Dose?
In case of overdose, immediately contact your local poison control center or the emergency room for further instructions. In case of missing a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is already the time to take the next dose, skip the missed dose and continue your usual dosing routine.
Notes: It is critical to remember that you cannot share this medicine with another individual.
What Side Effects May Azelastine Nasal Spray Produce?
Relevant side-effects associated with the use of azelastine Nasal spray include drowsiness, tiredness, sneezing, mild nosebleeds, coughing, headache, bad mouth taste, vomiting, runny nose and sore throat.
If you are possibly allergic to the drug azelastine and suffer a severe allergic reaction, like swelling of face, labored breathing, rashes, continuous nose bleeds and bad nasal irritation, it is critical to get immediate medical attention.